Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My Aching Back

My plan was to go to the boat Friday evening and pull the head and injector pump and deliver to diesel repair shop on Saturday morning.  At 1:30 am Saturday morning I conceded defeat and went to bed.  I had got the head off but injector pump was still mounted.  Only three bolts holding it on to block.  Easy to get to uppper bolts  but third at the bottom not so much.  So new plan was to finish removing pump on Saturday and take parts to mechanic the following week.   Saturday woke up had my coffee and continued to remove pump.  Took two hours to finish but was not that bad.  Bolt at the bottom was hard to get off but after I got a routine down it came right off.  Thank God, no struggle to get the pump off.


Took picture of the pump so I do not have to remember where the pipes go.

Bilge pump problems:

Almost every spring launch I have bilge pump problems.  I have two bilge pumps that come on automatically. I installed the "water witch" (google it) switch type switches in bilge area one for each pump on separate circuits.  Anyway last week I noticed the one of the circuit breakers for pump A was fused.  That means that probably the motor got wet and froze up.  I have Jabsco bilge pumps model 36000 something.  Last year the other one (B) got wet and wrecked the motor.  To prevent moisture getting on it (pump B), I covered it with a plastic baggy.  Worked great, ran fine.  Actually pump A was working about a month ago.  So some how it got wet.  I figure it tried to run and fused the breaker.  When I tried to manually start it a few weeks ago when the breakers was still working, I saw the DC amp meter go to about tens amps but, the motor did not come on.  Anyhow, I noticed the battery switch was on both banks and only wanted one bank so I rotated it around.  When power is restored to the "water witch" ( did you google it yet) bilge switch it is designed to turn on the pump for a few seconds.  So when power came back to DC I heard a pop and saw a large billow of smoke coming from bilge area.  I rotated the battery switch to off to kill power.  Looked around saw no issue and rotated battery switch back to on.  More smoke and I saw the wires to the bilge pump glow to red and start melting.  Not Good.  Turned DC off again and went to the power panel and removed the melted wires from power source.  So bad news I need a new breaker, pump motor and bilge switch.   I do not know how or why moisture is getting to the bilge pump motors but I am going to cover both pumps from now on with a protective cover.  Good news, other bilge pump B working fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment